Lago Agrio: The Amici Are Coming!
Posted on July 21, 2014
Several amici curiae have filed briefs with the Second Circuit. Here are the briefs, for your reading pleasure. I haven’t had the time to do more than scan them yet.
- Brief of the Proposed Huaorani Intervenors
- Brief of Environmental, Human Rights, and Other Groups
- Brief of EarthRights International
- Brief of the Republic of Ecuador
- Brief of Civil Law Scholars
I did note one fun zinger in the Civil Law Scholars’ brief:
We also put to one side Judge Kaplan’s conclusion that as a matter of fact it would have been impossible for the three-judge panel of the appellate court to conduct a de novo review of the 188 page trial judgment and the trial record within the period available—this despite the fact that Judge Kaplan himself was able to produce a 586 page decision less than a month after the close of briefing after the end of a seven week bench trial.